Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Amateur Dilettante?

So I have found it very difficult to maintain this blog over the past several months. I blame myself, for once, in determining that I would use the space to develop my ideas in a fairly thorough manner which is, of course, time consuming. I will try harder from now on to post regularly, even if it's on incompletely, or insufficiently, thought-out notions.

I have been writing while I've been absent, however. This is the sum total of my editorial endeavours so far, except one piece which I can't currently find online. Comments are always welcome.

My next post will be on this article on the effects of pornography on men. I disagree with it, but hopefully not for pedestrianly familiar reasons. Also, I'm hoping, if I promise to write on something in a blog post then I will feel more of a need to actually follow through on it.

I'm also thinking of doing an editorial on campus activism--inspired by this article--but I haven't developed an angle yet. It's surprisingly difficult to generate even moderately original sensible editorial ideas focusing on the college angle. Maybe I just need to think harder.

The music currently on my iPod has given me another idea: developing a conversation my friend Alan and I have had many times: the exact relationship between Oasis and Blur and how they stand with respect to the canon. Roughly the debate is that I feel like Blur, and especially Albarn, have been more interesting and innovative for longer whereas Oasis, no matter how beloved they are to us, have failed to really stretch themselves. So first the facts must actually be established and then the relevance of them assessed.

Cross your fingers... and toes.

No comments: